Skip to main content

Notes to my Girls #1

Dear girls, 

I have this friend. Her husband, unfortunately, has taken to gambling since last year. They have lost so much since then - their savings, their car, and possibly their home, too, if they don't do anything about all the debts that are piling up fast. Yes, aside from losing the things they owned, he also incurred a significant amount of debts.

I have and am helping her out in ways I could (financial blessings and prayers), and made sure she knows that I am always here whenever she needs me. I consider her a good friend and you have to always do what you can for your friends. 

I have been thinking about her lately. I cannot imagine the devastation she might be feeling. And I know she's hurting a lot right now. She has extended forgiveness multiple times, despite the betrayal, dishonesty, and deception she had to endure. Yet, things seem to have taken turn for the worse for their family. I do know, though, that one day God will free her husband from the shackles of gambling and fix him, their marriage, and his relationship with the Lord. In His time, I know all will be well.

What breaks my heart more is the fact that she is financially dependent on her husband. He is the only one earning. She is a full time home maker and is homeschooling their kids. The husband currently has no income and they went back to living with his parents. 

I am telling you this, girls, because I want you to understand how important it is for you to earn your own money. Yes, it is nice to just live a soft life and leave the earning and providing with the husband, but for me that is like standing on an unpredictably shaky ground. 

It is very important that you are not 100% dependent on your man financially. You have to also earn so you have your own savings and have funds for the things that you like for yourself or for blessing the people that God wants you to bless. Having the ability to earn will also take some of the pressure off the husband as well as serve as a backup in case the husband suddenly becomes incapacitated. 

If a man prohibits you from earning and generating your own income, then he is not the one for you. That is one trait of an abusive man. A man who asks an independent woman to stop earning is asking her to be insecure about her capabilities, lose her purpose, and be fully dependent on a flawed, imperfect human being. 

Yes, when you get married you become one, but the woman should not just morph with the husband - the woman should remain as her own person with her own hobbies, friends, and income. 

One important quality that we, girls, have to develop is the ability to generate our own income. Your Papa and I are working very hard to ensure that you are capable and equipped of building your own lives. God has also blessed you with skills and intelligence, and you must learn how to steward these blessings well. Stewarding our skills and intelligence means using them to bear fruit, improving them, and using them to bless the people around us. 

I am a strong believer of the concept of stewardship - leaving things better than when it is found. The Parable of the Talents in the Bible resonates so strongly with me. You need to understand that God is pleased when the skills, abilities, and resources He entrusted to us are improved, multiplied, and used to bless others. 

My girls, it is my prayer that you take this to heart.

Love, 

Mama



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is this a sign?

The Philippines had always been a rich agricultural country, that realizing its people are now facing a great dilemma over rice shortage just sounds really absurd. How can an agricultural country be facing such shortage? Never did I thought that this time will come when I will have to witness the chaotic crowds of people waiting for their rice rations. The government is now providing rice subsidy to the people- offering them NFA rice at lower cost. The once 25 to 30 pesos-per-kilo-worth of commercial rice, now mounts to 45 to 51 pesos per kilo. Imagine the increase? Shocking, indeed! The question now is, when will this dilemma end? Will a point come when people will do all sorts of things just to put something on their stomach? How long are Filipinos going to bear with the mayhem over a little ration of rice? Is this the end? Religious critics found this economic crisis a sign. Yup, one of the signs of God's return- the last judgment. My aunt even told me that she fears that the...

Me and You

Is this fate or mere coincidence? Is this for real or falsehood again? Is this the right thing or we just don’t know what we’re doing? Questions seem to be endless, Uncertainties make me restless. Should we? Should I? May those things that we’ve gone through Be our ultimate guide as we go Nothing is certain, you know But as long as there is love, we’ll make it through. We don’t know what lies ahead, What would become of us is uncertain Still, amidst all these indecisions, Only one thing matters, That, right now, there is me and you.

Five Little Details I Notice About Men

My friends often tell me that I am a person of such mordant wit. Well, what can I do? I think I was born with an incisive and trenchant personality, and people who are close to me can attest to that (who else can? They are always my victim. haha... ) Actually, I only notice those things which stirs up my interest, and I am very vocal about them. I had a little chit-chat with a friend this morning and we were discussing about this new guy she keeps on eyeing for the past days. Well, he really isn't that bad looking, but, he's just not somebody who can have me spun around for another glance. Hmmn..., well, for one, he isn't gifted with the height and built that I have set as the standard for boys. I told this to my friend, and as usual it caused some pout on the lips and a glare that's as fierce as my Bio teacher's. Well, what can I do? I'm just being honest (haha) When it comes to boys, I look for a lot of details. Aside from the over-all personality (wit, attit...