Skip to main content

The Simple Truth

Hi everyone! Wow, it's so good to be back... I really haven't had a fruitful holy week. I spent it sleeping and reading in my room, instead of attending the masses and other "rituals" that we Catholics are supposed to attend. Actually, it was my choice. I could have attended if I wanted to, but I guess, the evil spirits who lurked inside my body really ruled over... Well, my fault- I allowed them to... (sigh)

Anyway, I was able to read another one of David Baldacci's book. It's entitled "The Simple Truth". I really love the story because it's about a prisoner who is not guilty of the crime that he is convicted of. It illustrates the soft side of criminals. I came to realize that not all who are inside the prison cells-- suffering and bearing the torments of punishments -- are guilty. There are also those who are convicted of some crimes that they are innocent of.

Anyway, I was able to find the synopsis of the story at Shelfari.
Here it is:

Rufus Harms is rotting in a Virginia military prison. As readers learn in the terse opening of The Simple Truth, he was convicted 25 years ago of the brutal killing of a young girl. Readers also learn that Rufus did not commit the crime; out of a haze of memories and with fragments of evidence, he has reconstructed the truth about the horrid event that ruined his life. He knows his discovery could cost him his life, so he breaks from prison after sending an appeal to the Supreme Court that details a massive conspiracy tied into the foundations of Washington.

The complex drama of Rufus Harms is only one of the interwoven threads in this massive, violent legal thriller that also draws from the vocabulary of hard-boiled crime fiction. Baldacci offers glimpses into the arcane politics of the high court, where Justice Elizabeth Knight wages war with the manipulative Chief Justice Harold Ramsay. And while Harms struggles to keep out of harm's way and the justices duke it out, Supreme Court law clerk Sara Evans toils with ex-cop John Fiske to discover the import of Harms's appeal (and, simultaneously, to uncover the murderer of Mike Fiske, John's law clerk-brother and the original holder of the appeal). Their interest in the document apparently draws the attention of the same deadly conspirators who manipulated Harms over two decades earlier. While the armed mayhem sometimes rises to the point of excess, Baldacci's novel continues to offer new surprises until the final pages. --Patrick O'Kelley

Comments

Nyl said…
pareho tayo, haus lang din ako nung holy week..and its ironic that instead of fasting, kain tulog ako!ngeh!but in fairness nag reflect naman ako.

just don't lose the habit in reading, that's your sure way to knowledge.

Popular posts from this blog

Is this a sign?

The Philippines had always been a rich agricultural country, that realizing its people are now facing a great dilemma over rice shortage just sounds really absurd. How can an agricultural country be facing such shortage? Never did I thought that this time will come when I will have to witness the chaotic crowds of people waiting for their rice rations. The government is now providing rice subsidy to the people- offering them NFA rice at lower cost. The once 25 to 30 pesos-per-kilo-worth of commercial rice, now mounts to 45 to 51 pesos per kilo. Imagine the increase? Shocking, indeed! The question now is, when will this dilemma end? Will a point come when people will do all sorts of things just to put something on their stomach? How long are Filipinos going to bear with the mayhem over a little ration of rice? Is this the end? Religious critics found this economic crisis a sign. Yup, one of the signs of God's return- the last judgment. My aunt even told me that she fears that the...

Me and You

Is this fate or mere coincidence? Is this for real or falsehood again? Is this the right thing or we just don’t know what we’re doing? Questions seem to be endless, Uncertainties make me restless. Should we? Should I? May those things that we’ve gone through Be our ultimate guide as we go Nothing is certain, you know But as long as there is love, we’ll make it through. We don’t know what lies ahead, What would become of us is uncertain Still, amidst all these indecisions, Only one thing matters, That, right now, there is me and you.

Five Little Details I Notice About Men

My friends often tell me that I am a person of such mordant wit. Well, what can I do? I think I was born with an incisive and trenchant personality, and people who are close to me can attest to that (who else can? They are always my victim. haha... ) Actually, I only notice those things which stirs up my interest, and I am very vocal about them. I had a little chit-chat with a friend this morning and we were discussing about this new guy she keeps on eyeing for the past days. Well, he really isn't that bad looking, but, he's just not somebody who can have me spun around for another glance. Hmmn..., well, for one, he isn't gifted with the height and built that I have set as the standard for boys. I told this to my friend, and as usual it caused some pout on the lips and a glare that's as fierce as my Bio teacher's. Well, what can I do? I'm just being honest (haha) When it comes to boys, I look for a lot of details. Aside from the over-all personality (wit, attit...