Skip to main content

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” Goes an old Latin phrase which literally translates to "Who will guard the guards themselves," and is variously translated in colloquial English as "Who watches the watchmen?", "Who watches the watchers?", "Who will guard the guards?", "Who shall watch the watchers?" or other similar translations.

Some people may claim that they are the watchers, guards, protectors of the truth, but who watches over them? Who watches over the watchers themselves? Who makes certain that the guards are really safeguarding what they are supposed to protect and not abusing the power and authority given to them? What if they are the ones who taint, pollute and corrupt the very thing that they are guarding, for their own selfish reasons, for their own egocentric satisfaction?

Knowing the influence that you can deliver to people doesn’t give you the freedom to maliciously stain other people’s repute, nor does it give you the freedom to include your selfish intentions. Anyway, what’s done has been done. Whatever damage they wanted to cause, they’ve successfully inflicted it.

“Qui tacet consentire.” But, this time, my being silent doesn’t mean that I assent to whatever has been going out. Anyway, why should I be intimidated or affected, when I know that the guards weren’t doing the guarding well.

“Si finis bonus est, totum bonum erit.” Was it good then? Let’s just see…

Comments

bAby amPon said…
eloW..//_^..
btaW2..the watchers should have someone to watch over them..

ok ra nah..reCover2 rah gud..aWw?ashIhishi..

dLi btaw kah affeCtEd..aYt?..
//_^
donfoxhunter said…
ai wala! balos dyud! cge lamang ta pa api ani?
Janjie said…
Oh, hi Baby Ampon... Tnx for taking time to read this post...

Cge ra Don... recover2 ra kuno... nyaaahaha... aw, affected ka?... ahaha... ayaw bah...
Anonymous said…
to donfoxhunter:
"'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. (NIV, Leviticus 19:18)

to Janjie:
A fool always loses his temper, but a wise man holds it back. (NAS, Proverbs 29:11)
Unknown said…
hala ka nyc sa post. =)) i agree. there should be someone who'll guard the guards.. anyway, what should they be afraid of if they're just tellin the truth.. whew! haha. ö
Unknown said…
agi2 lang kow.. musta na? hope your fine. tc.. God bless. ö
jHeT said…
..hmmm..the watchers themselves are also human and prone to whatever mistakes there is..it's human nature cuz..

..on "knowing the influence that you can deliver to people...", whether what they had given out is the REAL truth or not, what people would believe is what they had already carried out..

..well, what can we do..?talk about crap interviews..nyahaha..
Anonymous said…
@anonymous: Thanks for those verses...

@Mary Narvasa: Hi there... Thanks for dropping by... and yeah, I'm very fine. It's so pleasing to know that this post caused many reactions from some people...

@Jhet: nyaahaha... yea yea.. I get it.. I wasn't expecting the reactions... Geez.. well, at least, now they know what a single article can cause. Very indirect pa gani ni, samot na guro nang naa jud tone and malice na "news" article. Nyaahaha... and yea, that crappy thing... haha... ayaw bah...
Anonymous said…
wew....wla ko k-getz...pro murag naa ra sa campus ang n-igo ani sa? tsk tsk...g-una og letter " Z "(rotate 45 degrees)...nyahaha

Popular posts from this blog

Is this a sign?

The Philippines had always been a rich agricultural country, that realizing its people are now facing a great dilemma over rice shortage just sounds really absurd. How can an agricultural country be facing such shortage? Never did I thought that this time will come when I will have to witness the chaotic crowds of people waiting for their rice rations. The government is now providing rice subsidy to the people- offering them NFA rice at lower cost. The once 25 to 30 pesos-per-kilo-worth of commercial rice, now mounts to 45 to 51 pesos per kilo. Imagine the increase? Shocking, indeed! The question now is, when will this dilemma end? Will a point come when people will do all sorts of things just to put something on their stomach? How long are Filipinos going to bear with the mayhem over a little ration of rice? Is this the end? Religious critics found this economic crisis a sign. Yup, one of the signs of God's return- the last judgment. My aunt even told me that she fears that the...

Me and You

Is this fate or mere coincidence? Is this for real or falsehood again? Is this the right thing or we just don’t know what we’re doing? Questions seem to be endless, Uncertainties make me restless. Should we? Should I? May those things that we’ve gone through Be our ultimate guide as we go Nothing is certain, you know But as long as there is love, we’ll make it through. We don’t know what lies ahead, What would become of us is uncertain Still, amidst all these indecisions, Only one thing matters, That, right now, there is me and you.

Five Little Details I Notice About Men

My friends often tell me that I am a person of such mordant wit. Well, what can I do? I think I was born with an incisive and trenchant personality, and people who are close to me can attest to that (who else can? They are always my victim. haha... ) Actually, I only notice those things which stirs up my interest, and I am very vocal about them. I had a little chit-chat with a friend this morning and we were discussing about this new guy she keeps on eyeing for the past days. Well, he really isn't that bad looking, but, he's just not somebody who can have me spun around for another glance. Hmmn..., well, for one, he isn't gifted with the height and built that I have set as the standard for boys. I told this to my friend, and as usual it caused some pout on the lips and a glare that's as fierce as my Bio teacher's. Well, what can I do? I'm just being honest (haha) When it comes to boys, I look for a lot of details. Aside from the over-all personality (wit, attit...